{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

9/30/12

Happy Birthday Baby

Today, at 7:30pm, our Maevey-bean turned one and was ushered into toddler-hood from infancy. 
Not quite a baby, and not quite a little girl. 
This last year has been a whirlwind of tears, exhaustion, joy, frustration, un-ease, laughter, exploration and learning. Right after Maeve was born, I asked the nurses if we could change her into pajamas and a hat we had brought for her. My questions were met with laughter and the exclamation "Of COURSE! She's YOUR baby!!" The thought that we were in charge, that we would know best, that we would steward her for the next eighteen years was too overwhelming to really comprehend at the time. Now, a year later, it still seems unreal. 
Every day I'm almost surprised there's a third person in our house. A little girl I'm learning more about every day. Who loves bananas, grapes and whole wheat bread. Who gives kisses, and waves and brings you books to read her. Who loves her puppy, the water and climbing and jumping. Maeve brings us so much joy, and I am overwhelmed at times by my love for her. And each time she can do something new, and independent I am incredibly proud and a little sad all at once. Last week she began feeding herself with her bowl and spoon and I found myself crying. What happened to my little baby I had to nurse every two hours? What happened to that fragile little creature and who is this little independent spark?
Maeve has brought surprises with her from the beginning, and yet somehow I realize after my initial shock that I've sensed it all along. Right before I began to push, the nurse asked me if I wanted to know the baby's hair color. I was a little thrown off, but equally excited, and said "yes". She told me she saw bright red hair, when she left the room I told Adam she was probably wrong, yet out came our red, curly-haired baby. I was shocked, until weeks later when my cousin Shannon pointed out I had written her about my red, curly-haired baby when I was about five months pregnant. Or the other day, when Maeve climbed out of her crib and fell to the ground. When I ran upstairs it almost didn't click, I kept thinking "How did you get here? How are you on the floor?" but Adam reminded me we had talked about our worry it was coming weeks earlier. 

One year and one week old. Oh my!!

I am so thankful to have Maeve and while it feels impossible a year has gone by, I also can't imagine our family without her here. I feel like she's always been here. She makes our days brighter and makes us laugh so much. I had no idea how much I could love until our mischievous little Maevey-bean came into our life and I cannot imagine life without her. 
Taken at exactly 7:30pm tonight. Happy Birthday baby!!!

No comments: