{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

1/24/10

Worship, and God---for Me

So at church on Sunday I shared what worship and God mean to me, and I how experience that. It took me awhile to figure out just what I wanted to put, and how to word what I meant, and I still wasn't sure if I would be understood, or sound crazy. I was amazed afterwards when I was told by several people "I really could worship with it, after hearing you speak", or "I feel like I understand a whole new aspect of you now." It was incredibly encouraging, since I seldom share on this subject (unless prompted, like Sunday) because it isn't always well received. Here is what I shared:


When I’m listening to certain music, epic & pressing in some way after a few moments a feeling creeps into me that I can’t quite name. My chest tightens, I feel the urge to close my eyes, and I need to move. I can picture the movements, the perfect movements for that piece of music.

Sometimes it’s just the urge to dance that comes over me, without any music at all, a particular move my body wants to make, always accompjavascript:void(0)anied with the tightness in my chest & the urge to close my eyes. Watching performances with the specific type of music or dance has the same affect for me, often with tears.

For me, dancing has always been a very private and guarded thing. I either want to be alone, or somewhere “safe”, “removed” and “expected”, like rehearsal or a performance. Dancing I’m no longer myself, but this puppeted creature, moved about by the music and something that isn’t of this world. It’s how I was created to feel and express, to worship and be.

This clip may not strike you as particularly “epic” or “intense” but I love it because she possesses amazing grace and skill. She moves with the music in her rehearsal clothes in an empty auditorium, feeling everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz2Gp7a38DM

No comments: