{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

12/26/11

A Very Maevey Christmas

This Christmas marked many a first for the "O" family. First Christmas with Miss Maeve, first Christmas meal cooked, first trip to Santa (who later swung by the house), first attempt at midnight mass with our little addition and the first time to build new traditions as a new family. This year was bittersweet for us; my family was in Hawaii (due to Adam's new job he couldn't take off just yet), and sadly my Granio is no longer here to call and send packages to. But Maeve brought us new life and excitement for the holidays and we were able to celebrate with Adam's siblings too. Friday afternoon marked the start of our merriment with Adam scurrying home from work at noon and our first trip to see Santa since our own childhoods.
I was a bit nervous about Maeve and Santa, but she slept until we placed her in his arms and was too confused to cry. Adam and I laughed at how her blue eyes and rosy cheeks match those of St.Nick, as if he could be her secret great-grandfather.

Saturday we lazed around the house and ate way too much pie. We put Maeve down at her bedtime and then scooped her up at 10:00 for midnight mass. A tradition in my family, midnight mass has always seemed peaceful and light...not so with a little one. We arrived to "The Carol of the Bells" and Maeve bolted awake, eyes wide and completely confused as to where her bed had gone.

I.felt.awful.

Mother's guilt my Christmas gift to myself. Luckily no crying she made, and instead she sat up and looked around; marveling at all the people, the greenery and song. It was hard to enjoy the service, I was so concerned about Maeve missing sleep, but I did love the end. Candles were passed out, and softly we sang. There is something so sweet and lovely about holding your not quite three month old babe and singing "Silent Night." It's a memory I will hold onto forever, Maeve's head finally resting, nuzzled in my neck.

Christmas morning found us eating my nana's sausage squares, and our own cinnamon rolls and mimosas while we marveled at the gifts under the tree and listened to "A Celtic Christmas." We were happy to see Santa had come, bringing our girl some clothes for the coming year, a book and a toy or two. He must have taken into consideration how far away her first birthday is. :)
Maeve and her daddy open her very first Christmas present, which happens to be from Shannon, Kyle and her whirly girly cousins Meg and Alice Virginia
The only picture of us ladies on Christmas. As you can see, I'd already been a spit-up casualty and had to change my pajama top to an old t-shirt

All day I found myself thinking..."how different this will all be next year, when she's nearly fifteen months..." By the afternoon we were in Little Elm, celebrating Christmas with Maeve's aunts and uncles. She was happy to get some extra cuddles, and we were happy to eat without holding her.
Uncle Jacob and Aunt Leticia

With her Elliott cousins

Uncle Mark and Aunt Cynthia with their Christmasy neice and nephew

Tonight, Adam and I are enjoying the fire and wine by the tree, waiting for Maeve to settle to sleep before we can enjoy our own Christmas feast. Just the two of us.

Merry Christmas to you all!

1 comment:

Nicci said...

she's so cute!