{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

1/1/12

Fly Away With Us

Shortly after Thanksgiving the bean and I made the trek from Oklahoma to DC. Visiting family and friends, mourning the passing of my Granio, and spending some time being pampered by my Mom and Dad.

But, before we can talk about our trip we have to talk about our test run. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, there are certain truths in life that are better left un-tested. Lessons like, "Everything takes at least twice as long with a baby." and "Always arrive an hour and a half before your flight's departure." Neither of these lessons seemed to find their way into my thought before Tuesday, the day of our departure to DC. The morning was supposed to look like this: get up at 4am and ready, feed and change Maeve, put Maeve in car, put bags in car, leave for airport. I had laid things out with order, had planned everything out in my head and thought I was pretty prepared. But, the anxiety of travelling alone with my then 8wk old baby kept me up most of the night and instead the morning looked something like this: cousin waking me up at 5:15, we're supposed to leave, get dressed, now I'm sweating, feed Maeve, Maeve spits up, Maeve has a blowout, Maeve's crying, change Maeve, hand Maeve off to go into her carseat, get bags, my bags won't close! how can they not close?, get in car, get to airport.

Once at aiport, a flight pro I had imagined, walk in, check in. Instead it was drag things in, shake the whole time, have too many things...boppy, coat that no longer fits, pump bag, diaper bag, stroller, carseat, suitcase, snuggly....pray you're never left to fly alone again, pray the baby keeps sleeping, run to the ticket counter, swear you'll never fly alone again, arrive to two irked looking ticket agents. They are supposed to take your id, take your bags and wish you merry travels. But no, today you are greeted with, "your flight leaves in twenty minutes, I can't check you in, you're not going to make it."

GULP

Keep shaking, try not to cry, think of the baby, think of your parents, wish Adam was here. Look at Shannon, be thankful someone kind IS here, and ask what they can do. So we were given choices by a gruff and tired looking airline attendant.
Our conversation went something like this....
"Well, that was our only flight to Baltimore today."
"Oh..."
"But, you can get from here to Houston and Houston to Baltimore."
"Great!"
"But Houston is over-sold so you'll probably get stuck, at least until 7 tonite."
"Oh..."
"Or we could put you on a flight to Chicago."
"Great!"
"But because of that snow storm, you won't get out tonight."
"Oh...ok...well.."

Thank goodness Shannon was there to lean in and remind me I didn't know anyone either place, and kindly tell me I could stay in Edmond with them another night.
So, for $75 I bought a ticket change for the same flight the next morning and an extra day of fun with the VanHeests.

Pictures and tales of DC to follow, but let me assure you that the next day Mama was up on time.

Ok, ok, and because I can't help but moon over our gal. Maevey turned 3mo old this Friday. Here she is modeling at the botanical gardens this week.

No comments: