{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

6/8/10

Hawaii

Most people that know me, know that I spent my childhood summers (and many other holidays) in Hawaii at my grandparents. As Ryan will tell you, I even 'stole' his idea and went to UH, although I ended up transferring to Dallas for a certain someone... ;) Hawaii has always been a special place for me and my family, and after my 24 summers there, it's no surprise. It's where I was baptized, where I learned to swim, summers of VBS and camping at the beach. The most recent trip to Hawaii was when Adam proposed to me. We had gone for two weeks, and spent our day doing my family's Friday traditions; we spent the day at Waimea, and saw the hula show downtown before dinner at my parent's favorite restaurant on the beach. After dinner we took a walk on the beach and Adam proposed in the moonlight in front of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. (where as a child we went to brunches). This place is my second home, and my grandparents mean a great deal to me after so much time together. This Sunday, I am heading up to visit them for the first time in 2 years, the longest time I've ever been away. Adam will stay behind this time, though we're both going in December. Mom & I will be going on our own, which is also a first since I was about 14.

My grandparents are getting older, and things are getting harder for them to do. Gone are the days of Pappy throwing us back over front in the Ocean, or Nana making doll cakes and asking us about our day. Days are more relaxed now, and slower paced. I seem to forget how much time has gone by until I'm back. Although now I opt for the lounge chair instead of the fun noodle, and Ryan is laying out on the mat instead of skimming the waves for hours on end. It's strange to be there year after year, with so much the same and everything different.

No comments: