{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

4/15/13

Corpus Cousins

This past week, Maeve and I trekked the seven hours down to Corpus Christi to visit my cousin Shannon and her sweet, growing family. As I've mentioned, many, many times, I feel lucky to have a family I can count as one of my best friends. The day the Navy transfers them out of driving distance will be so sad; I've loved all our visits these last five years, especially when we're pregnant! Anyhow, Shannon had come up for a quick ladies weekend the week before Easter, mainly for conquering JBF and Ikea and for late night talks. (A post for another day!) She graciously invited us down to help "nest" the house for their third little girl, due to make her appearance in about seven weeks! 
I love this picture from our afternoon of water in yard.  
We crammed so much into a week, it is nearly unbelievable. I knew I was tired, but didn't know just how much until I came home and was dragging over the weekend. Four hours of sleep for a week, and chasing three busy girls is no joke! We spent mornings running errands and solidifying ideas for the house, afternoons   playing in the sun, evenings projecting and late night eating Cheetos and chocolate while talking (we're some of the best talkers around) and watching my new favorite "Call the Midwife". (Go watch it, NOW!) Our girls are an interesting blend of their mothers and fathers; so sweet to see where they overlap and we can see how they might too be kindred spirits. Maeve and Allie, our three-months-apart redheads are both nurturing mamas. Since they were not yet one they've carted their babies around: kissing, patting, squeezing, loving. They're quick to give hugs, to say "I LOVE you!" and spent the week finding each other's lovies and returning them to their owner. Maeve and Meggie share a quick, adventurous spirit. When Maeve was about a year, right before she was really walking, we were all at a pumpkin patch together when Meggie began quickly scaling a pumpkin pile. Quick as a flash, Maeve began following her cousin up the pile, giggling all the while. So, it was no surprise when Meggie would bounce off the couch, or run ahead Maeve's eyes would gleam and up she'd climb or run. Sometimes she was even the one ahead! Shannon and I joke that one day, in the not to distant future, the "M"s will be engaging in all sorts of rambunctious activities while Alice Virginia stands back reminding them all the while, "I just don't think this is wise." 
Any guess as to who stayed with mamas and who ran ahead? ;)

You can hardly make this one out, but it's all three girls chasing seagulls together! 
There was still the usual childhood tensions, but they were fleeting. Most of the week was giggles, and hugs, and bed jumping. (Something little Maeve was the ring-leader for.) Each morning, and after each nap, Maeve would wake up asking for "Maggie" & "ALlie". Even on the way home, and into yesterday she kept cocking her head to side and asking about them. :) Makes me so happy; I really hope we're able to foster their friendship, and help it grow. We made memories on a marshy nature walk, running on the board walk. A girls afternoon at the beach, still a little too chilly, all of them begging to stay in the water. The toddlers got a special "big sister is at school" treat, going to the aquarium to chase all the sea creatures and declare their love for each fish, turtle, seashell and dolphin in their little matching outfits. I love those girls so sincerely, my little "niece" cousins. and it melts my heart to feel their sweet, unconditional love. Each morning Meggie (3yr) would check, "You and Maeve will be here today. I want you to stay until Wednesday. You'll have to go home to teach tippy-toes and see Adam. BUT you're coming back when the new baby comes, right?" 



Yes Meggie, we stayed and played and we'll be back. :)

No comments: