{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

6/28/11

Denial, It Ain't Just A River

One of my great pre-mommy fears with pregnancy is stretch marks. I have been dousing myself in vitamin E lotion and collagen rich (supposedly) cocoa butter lotion since just about day one. My doctor even mentioned to me that it was mostly genetic, and since my mom had practically no stretch marks, I would probably be in the clear. He lied.

Last night, while rubbing lotion on my expanding tummy I remarked to Adam how funny it was that I "only have this one mark, right here---how odd!" The mark I was referring to is a deep, half-moon shape just to the left of my belly button. One noticeable mark? I'll take it. And then I noticed Adam...nodding. It was that "ummmm, yes...." face. "Do I have more?" I asked, and all he would say is "You look great! Stop worrying!" Momentarily appeased I resumed my night time routine. but as I exited the bathroom I caught a glimpse of myself in the full-length mirror on the door. A mirror I've been avoiding because I know how big I am thank-you-very-much! The lower part of my stomach, the part I can't see at all without the aid of a mirror is stretch mark city. *Sigh* I know it was probably hopeless to begin with, but I couldn't help feeling sad and kind of unattractive, especially with three months to go! I think the saddest part though is that it hadn't occurred to me that I literally can't see half my belly.

My husband made a valiant effort though, ignoring my requests for truth these last few weeks. After my discovery last night he gave me a squeeze and a kiss for consolation and added, "It was kind of cute that you thought you only had the one spot." So, here's to Adam, who kept my denial going strong, and to my lotions whom continue to be my false security even though the proof is in the purple.

4 comments:

The Stolle Family said...

Oh Dear Kaitlin! I can just picture your husband trying to comfort you and make you feel better about stretch marks... how sweet of him to be there for you and tell you "you're pretty anyway." Way to go Adam! I do have to admit that I chuckled... a LOT... when I read the sentence about your under belly and I immediately had to go locate mine again. It's hard work keeping up with the changes when there is only one of you to keep track. HANG IN THERE!!! YOu are beautiful!! Next appt is when??? Soon????

Kaitlin said...

Haha, thanks Megan. I didn't really realize until the mirror moment that there was half a belly I couldn't see! My next appointment is the 8th! What about you, any Andersen updates?

The Stolle Family said...

No updates to give. Next appointment is on Tuesday - wonderful glucose test day. :) If it makes you feel any better... I have a very light linea negra (that line on the under side of your belly) which really accentuates my crooked belly button. I have known that it was crooked my entire life, but now it is REALLY Obvious! At least your belly button isn't offset to the right of the middle of your body! Booo Hooo!!!

Kaitlin said...

No! I too have an off-centered belly button, just off to the right, lol. Glucose test for me was last appointment, enjoy your drink. ;)