{instagram}


Wonderfully Made Dance
Powered by Blogger.

5/3/11

Baby Has a Room

This weekend, in our ever growing "hunt for 001", we were keeping our eyes open for furniture for the babe. Adam's parents sweetly gave us his beautiful baby crib, and we managed to find a matching changing table several months ago. This Sunday we lucked out and finally found a dresser! Being married to Adam, furniture hunting is more stressful then it should be. He and I had two different "must have" lists.

Mine went something like this:
1. Must not have odor (like cigarette smoke)
2. Must not break the bank
3. Must be tall, not wide

Adam's looked like this:
1. Must not have odor (like cigarette smoke)
2. Must not break the bank
3. Must be tall, not wide
4. Must be solid hard wood
5. Must have dove-tailed drawers, not stapled
6. Must have an interesting element to it
7. Must have drawer stops, or I must be able to put in drawer stops
8. Must have certain type of drawer tracks or be easily changed

**Several times in our search, he referenced how he would make it. This is totally legitimate, and he could. However, we don't have an abundance of time, and he is a total perfectionist. This was not something I was really keen on, and celebrated when we agreed on a dresser this weekend.**

001's room is starting to take on a little shape and personality. While we still don't have bedding (a whole different story) the crib is holding two of my favorite things so far; a pale green triceratops "lovie" I discovered at a baby boutique in Edmond, OK shortly after finding out we were pregnant, and "bah bah", a soft blanket from my frousin Shannon as a hope gift back in November. The top of the dresser holds a lamp from my childhood room, and a piece of shadow art that reminds me of my mother. Our changing table is covered in clothes I plan to wash and put away, children's books and empty baskets. The floor by the closet is littered with about 7 unusual stuffed animals I plan to wash and somehow incorporate into the room. Unusual because they consist of everything from elephant to buffalo to armadillo to Loch Ness monster. Aside from "Nessie", which my parents bought me on our first trip to Scotland as a child, the rest the stuffed animals Adam gave me throughout the first year we dated. In the corner of the room rests play things for baby, a bouncy chair, a walker, a scooter for when they've grown...Their closet has begun to collect things like wipes and space for the pack n play... Last night I kept walking into the nursery, flipping the light on and just looking around, thinking about how different the room will be in 22wks. Even a few weeks from now, when we find out the sex, I suspect more small changes will begin to show. I must confess I keep peeking into my keepsake box, hoping that I'll discover it's a girl, and be able to share some of my treasures with her. Falling in love with Adam as I discovered more and more of him was one of the most amazing things that's happened to me, but it's incredible to feel I'm already falling for someone whom I don't even know.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Love it! Can't wait to see pictures of all your hard work and finds. Love you, too! :)

Nicci said...

I know what dovetail means! Thank you "This Old House" reruns. (=